The birth of the internet was a big disrupter of all types of businesses. This includes the video surveillance field. Today you can keep an eye on your business from any digital device connected to the internet, if you want. But what if you’re stuck with older CCTV cameras? How can you watch a CCTV camera from anywhere using the internet?
Traditional CCTV cameras can now function like modern, high-tech cameras. Through the use of a smartphone app, you can view your cameras over the internet – which can help increase the security of your company. So if you’ve ever wanted to watch your camera feeds online, here’s how:
How Can I Watch My CCTV Cameras Online?
Before we start: Modern surveillance systems give you the ability to watch security cameras from anywhere, but you don’t have to! If you’d rather not feel pressured to check your cameras all night, turn to the pros and let professional virtual security guards monitor your feeds. However, if you want to check your cameras yourself, you certainly can.
By downloading a phone app or installing viewing software on your desktop, you can watch your CCTV cameras over the internet. This is less complicated than it sounds. Depending upon the capabilities of your system, you should be able to:
- Connect your DVR recording device to the internet. This is dependent on your DVR. An older security system may not be able to perform this function. The process is simple; just connect your recording device to your router by plugging it into the LAN port with an ethernet cable. However, you’ll also need to log in to your DVR. Your CCTV provider should be able to provide you with step-by-step instructions. Alternatively, your video surveillance provider can set this up for you.
- Install viewing software. The viewing software may be proprietary to your CCTV provider. The best CCTV providers have a smart app that you can install on any mobile device and then track it yourself. Companies like Pro-Vigil offer viewing software for free that you can download to your mobile devices.
There are also third-party viewing vendors that can help you watch your CCTV camera from anywhere using the internet. You typically need to match the model of your security cameras to the software that supports the system. Alternatively, just call your CCTV provider and ask them how you can get this important upgrade.
The days of the old CCTV cameras and DVR systems are over. Today, you can watch your CCTV camera from anywhere by using the internet. Instead of wondering what images await you when you get back to work, you can watch your CCTV camera online from your cell phone.
What Are the Best Features for Your Internet-Connected CCTV Camera?
The best viewing software doesn’t just help you watch online CCTV camera footage, but also helps extend the reach of the camera by adding new features.
The same technology that lets you watch your CCTV footage online usually comes with a host of modern features:
Benefits of Watching Your Online CCTV Cameras
Remote online monitoring is a huge advantage over standard CCTV platforms. By capturing video data and sending it in real-time to your internet-connected smartphone you become the 24/7 eyes and ears of the business.
Remote online CCTV viewing software is:
- Cost-effective. You can watch your business from afar and save on the cost of an on-site security presence. A remote CCTV feed to your cell phone allows you to track what’s going on at all times. This rapid response gives you an edge over criminals.
- Reassuring. You can dial up your business at any time 24/7 from any location with internet connectivity if you want to check on it for your peace of mind.
- A deterrent for criminals. Sometimes even the presence of a security camera is all you need. But if a member of your team can be watching the cameras at all times, you can stop crime before it happens and call the police.
- Reliable. Presuming your on-site connectivity doesn’t drop, watching your CCTV camera online offers the conveniences of the digital era.
Now let’s look at one specific type of software to watch online CCTV footage. Here’s Pro-Vigil’s take on software that lets you watch your CCTV cameras from anywhere using the internet.
What Does Pro-Vigil’s Online CCTV Viewing Software Offer?
Pro-Vigil offers our customers proprietary online CCTV viewing software. You can log in and check your HD cameras, arm your location-specific security, and even check on the health of your IP-enabled cameras. Our free downloadable software is the perfect way to watch your CCTV cameras from anywhere by using the internet. Some of the features of our downloadable app include:
- Track trouble tickets.
- View and create data analytics about any onsite activity.
- Check the status and health of your system.
- Or simply watch your CCTV cameras from anywhere using the internet.
If you’re wondering how to watch your CCTV cameras from anywhere by using the internet, call Pro-Vigil. We’d be happy to provide you with a consultation of your existing system and how to upgrade it to provide this important security feature. Call on us to find out more.